Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Being a Real Person

Today is a special day. Today is me and New York's 6 month anniversary. 6 months ago I walked off of the cruise ship and started my life as a college graduate, pseudo-adult, "making it work" real person. Some of my friends and I say that when you graduate college and start working you become a "real person" as opposed to the former part of your life when you were a "fake person." Anywho. It has not been an easy few months out of the gate, but they've been necessary. As stated before, I make lists. So I've compiled a list of some things I've learned in my first 6 months as a real person.

Things I've Learned in My First 6 Months as a Real Person:
1. People are willing to help you, but you have to be humble enough to ask.
2. Double check if your apartment comes with electricity. Juuuust in case.
3. I have the worst luck finding and moving into apartments which solidifies the fact that I should just be a touring superstar. Immediately.
4. Going outside at least once a day is essential to sanity.
5. Set up e-mail alerts to pay your credit card cause if you're me, you will forget. Fees are not your friend.
6. Everyone on the subway gets off first, THEN you get on. If you're one of those people who rushes onto the subway and by doing so, pushes and shoves me... You're a meanie and I hate you.
7. Vendor hotdogs are $3 now. What's with the inflation, fellas?!
8. Sometimes there's comfort in instability... but not that much comfort. So make plans and see them through.
9. Write everything down and get everything in writing.
10. If you don't like something, change it. This is cliche, but it's for real.
11. To-Do lists save my life.
12. Don't compare yourself to others even though it looks like everyone's always doing stuff that's cooler than what you're doing cause you're doing cool stuff too. Don't worry.
13. You're always going to want to "lose 3 pounds." Eff it. Enjoy the occasional beer and/or Ben & Jerry's.
14. Work really hard and have lots of patience.
15. Being accidentally wine drunk on a weekday IS a thing.
16 It's okay to s t o p and take time to think about what you truly want instead of always doing, doing, doing.
17. Fergie was wrong, big girls do cry.

Here's to the next 6!

<3, Lynda


2 comments:

  1. Very good lessons! Being a "real person" is complicated!

    -Melissa (forever your history of western music buddy!)

    ReplyDelete